Fiat G.91 Fighter Bomber
The Fiat G.91 was the winner of a 1953 competition organized by NATO for the purchase of a fast tactical fighter bomber with good general performance and good handling. It entered in operational service with the Italian Air Force in 1961 and with the West German Luftwaffe in 1962. The G.91 was in production for 19 years until 1977. 756 aircraft were built including prototypes and preproduction models. The 292 German produced G.91s were the first combat aircraft built in Germany since WWII. The G.91 was capable of operating from prepared runways or grass fields and had a low maintenance cost. In the early 1960s Portugal became involved in fighting in it’s African overseas territories. Portugal acquired 40 G.91R/4s which had originally been built for Greece and Turkey form West Germany in exchange for allowing Germany to build and use an airbase at Beja in Portugal for training. The G.91s went into service in 1966 and fought in Portugal’s Colonial Wars until 1975. The last G.91s were phased out in 1993. The Fiat G.91 was armed with 4 12.7 mm M2 Browning machineguns and could carry 1,500 lbs of ordinance on 4 hard points. This model shows a plane flown by the Portuguese Air Force during the war in Angola.