The Sturmgeschütz III assault gun was Germany's most produced armored fighting vehicle of WWII. The StuG III originated in the German army's experience in WWI. The artillery of the time was too heavy to be brought up with the infantry during an attack, leaving the infantry with no means to bring direct fire onto obstacles and strongpoints. In 1935 the German army issued a specification for an infantry assault gun with a 75mm canon. In 1936 Daimler Benz began development of the StuG III. They used the chassis and running gear of the Pz.Kpfw. III as the basis for the new machine. As the StuG III was intended as an infantry support weapon it was armed with the Krupp short barrel 75mm StuK 37 L/24 cannon. While the StuG III was considered self propelled artillery, there was some initial debate about which arm should be responsible for the new vehicle. The neither the panzer nor the infantry arm had the resources to operate it so it fell to the artillery arm to take control of the StuG III. It made its combat debut during the Battle Of France in 1940 and proved very successful in it's intended role, giving the infantry much needed close support. When the German army encountered the Soviet T-34 and KV series tanks in the invasion of the Soviet Union, the army urgently needed tank destroyers. The StuG III was up armored and equipped with the high velocity 75mm StuK 40 L/43 cannon and later the 75 mm StuK 40 L/48 antitank gun producing the Ausf. F, F/8 and G versions. A 7.92mm MG34 machinegun was also added to the Ausf. G. The Sturmgeschütz assault guns proved very successful and served on all fronts as assault guns and, later, tank destroyers. Because of their low silhouette, StuG IIIs were easy to camouflage and made a difficult target. The StuG units ended the war with a total of over 20,000 enemy tanks destroyed and served till the end of the war. About 10,619 StuG IIIs were produced when production ended in March 1945. StuG IIIs were supplied to Romania (used till 1954), Bulgaria, Finland (used till the early 1960s), Hungary, Italy, Spain (used till 1954), Sweden, Turkey, Yugoslavia, Syria (supplied by the USSR and used till 1967). The model shows a StuG III Ausf. G on the western front in late 1943.