Breguet BR.14 Bomber
Designed and first flown by Louis Breguet on November 21, 1916 the Breguet BR.14 was a WWI bomber and reconnaissance plane. Production began in March 1917 and the BR14 entered service shortly after. The BR.14 was a very strong two bay unequal span biplane of mixed construction. It was notable for its extensive use duralumin in the fuselage and wing structure. This allowed the airframe to be lighter than a wooden airframe of the same strength making the aircraft very fast and agile for its size. It was able to outrun many of the fighters of the time. The aircraft covering was fabric. The metal cowling over the 238.5kW Renault 12Fe engine was extensively louvered and a distinctive radiator was fitted. The original wing was modified to accommodate Michelin racks the could carry 560 lbs. of bombs and it carried a fixed 7.7 mm Vickers machinegun on the left side of the fuselage and twin Lewis guns in the observer's cockpit. The BR.14 was considered to be the one of the best aircraft of the war with over 5,500 produced and equipping at least 71 French escadrilles on the Western Front by November 1918. Production continued until 1926 with 8,000 produced. The United States Army Air Service flew over 600 BR.14s. The first American squadron to fly the Breguet operationally was the 96th Aero Squadron. During the St.Mihiel Offensive the 96th Aero performed ground attack missions and bombed rail centers. The BR.14 was widely used after the war flying with French occupation forces in Germany, putting down uprisings in Syria and Morocco. It also flew in Vietnam and in France's intervention in the Russian Civil War. The last trainer examples were not withdrawn from French military service until 1932. It also flew with Poland fighting with Russia in 1920. The Czech air arm, Brazil, China, Denmark, Finland, Greece, Japan, Portugal, Argentina, Belgium, El Salvador, Estonia, Guatemala, Japan, Lithuania, Paraguay, Portugal, Romania, Serbia, Sweden, Siam, Turkey, Uruguay, The Kingdom of Yugoslavia and Spain also operated the BR.14. This model shows a BR.14 B2 flying with the 96th Aero Squadron in 1918.